<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 16, 2004

The piano part for Climb is not coming together.  I can vaguely hear it in my head, but everything I put down on the staves is wrong wrong wrong.  Meanwhile, the ghost of my composition prof, Dr. Edwin LaBounty, is standing at my elbow, saying "Use the whole piano!"  One of my great regrets is I never got back in touch with him before he died to let him know that his teaching had had a lasting and meaningful effect on my life, and that I was still persuing music even though the grad school thing didn't work out.  He'd encouraged me to move on someplace other than WWU for my graduate work, a college where I could get a PhD in music if I decided to take it that far.  Trouble is, I never again had a prof who would say to me "I don't understand what you're trying to do with this piece, but keep working on it."  So now I'm sitting here telling his ghost "It's not a bloody piano concerto!"  The ghost is unimpressed.

0 comments

Post a Comment

0 Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?