<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 09, 2004

This is why I don't get things done on the weekend...

Sunday morning I'm planning on getting up at a decent hour so I can do some work in the backyard before it gets too hot, but since I'm still tired from the week, I pull the sheets over my head so Peaseblossom will stop licking my hair and go back to sleep for just a little longer. Finally I get up, do my yoga, shower, feed the cats, get my own breakfast together, and then sit down on the music room rug with the Sunday paper, where I restrict myself to just the comics, the arts section (including Dave Barry and Dear Abby), and a bit of the Home and Travel sections. By the time I'm dressed, it's nearly 11 o'clock and 104 degrees outside. Nevertheless, I head out to work on the patio because it's been sitting for weeks with no progress. An hour of not-very-strenuous moving of paving stones under the acacia tree later, I'm drenched and unable to keep the sweat out of my eyes any longer, so I head back in. The rest of the day went pretty much like that.

However, I did pull off a few hours on Keepers and the Kindlers March; ripped out and re-did the alto and bass voices, then diddled a little with the percussion, and I feel pretty good about the result. The arrangement I'd had going had too many parallel fourths between the soprano and alto voices and just sounded weird. The new version also has the virtue of being simpler - the lighthouse keepers are a unified group expressing a single purpose, so the arrangement should have some stability and not be four voices in contant independant motion.

0 comments

Post a Comment

0 Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?