<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 30, 2004

I left work today feeling vaguely annoyed. I won't go into the reasons here, because they're vaguely annoying. I just can't see myself doing this work for the next 22 years.

The publicity pamphlets for the upcoming election are arriving fast and furious now. My favorite part of these pamphlets are the "For" and "Against" arguments. For example, Maricopa County Proposition 400, the continuation of the sales tax to fund general transportation projects in the Valley. The vast majority of the "Against" arguments object to the light rail provision. Or as one citizen put it, "Trolley Is Terrorist Target"! OMG! We mustn't build anything, lest the terrorists blow it up! Reminds me of the 60's British film, The Bed Sitting Room, set in a post-atomic-war Britain where all permanent structures had been destroyed, and people were forbidden from settling down or building any shelters because they would provide targets for a new round of bombing. Dudley Moore roamed the countryside in a hot air balloon with a megaphone, yelling "Keep Moving!" This posed a predicament for the title character who, due to atomic radiation, was slowly mutating into a bed sitting room. Eventually Dudley Moore mutated into a dog - a terrier, if I recall correctly.

It was based on a stage play, apparently.

Unlike every other blogger on earth I'm not going to say anything about the Presidential Debate, because I lost interest soon after they announced the rules. No spontaneity, please, we're American.

1 comments

Post a Comment

1 Comments:

When I saw a sign for Prop 400
"Finish Our Highways: Yes On 400"
I immediately thought:
"Norwegian Our Highways: Ya, You Betcha On 500"

-Anonymous Gerbil

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:36 AM  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?