<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Cold Snap
The long summer is over! This morning at about 7:30 the thermometer on my front porch read 62 degrees. It can't have been any warmer yesterday morning at the Desert Botanical Garden plant sale. They started the members-only preview at 7:00 this year, which made the opening crowd a bit less insane but still substantial. I got some more basil and some penstemons to replace the ones that died over the summer; also my usual ton of plants that I didn't intend to buy and now have to find a place for. Most of them are going on the patio.

(Actually, I'm ver good; I limit myself to what can fit in my little red wagon plus one plant-in-hand.)

I've gotten used to startling birds when I step out the back door; the doves and mockingbirds in particular are drawn to the little water feature that I call the pond. I am not, however, used to finding a huge ol' Coopers hawk leaping out of the bath when I come onto the patio. It perched in the neighbors' eucalyptus until it got tired of me gawking at it, then flew off to the southeast. Peaseblossom, meanwhile, was eagerly peering out the screen door. This is why domestic cats are not fit for survival in the wild. They see a bird that size, and think dinner! Trouble is, the bird is thinking the same thing.

0 comments

Post a Comment

0 Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?