<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Drove down this weekend to visit Ann and Marty in Willcox for the annual out-of-town Holt meeting. It always amazes me how quiet it is down there. And their neighbor has llamas!

On the way down I stopped at Picacho Peak to have a go at Hunter Trail. The first leg, the mile or so up to the Saddle, I did pretty well I thought, considering that the trail is considerably steeper in places than any trail around Phoenix - hence the occasional cable guides. Although I started out alone at 9:15, by the time I reached the Saddle I'd caught up with a couple of young guys. However... Right after the Saddle, there's a section where you descend nearly vertically 300 feet, mostly on your butt over bare rock, clutching a cable in one hand and holding onto a rock overhang with the other. The trail after that is what the park brochure terms "primitive": not well marked, and with a lot of scrambling up rock faces. It didn't take long before my knees tactfully vetoed going on to the Peak.

Then it was on to Tucson for the fruit and cheese plate a Delectables, then to Ann & Marty's hot tub.
------------------
Finished up - finally! - Flight of the 1045 Express on Friday and shipped it off to Jeff. I'm working on Stardust County Line now.

0 comments

Post a Comment

0 Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?