<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 27, 2004

This is the time of year when fragments of unfinished carol filks run through my head, like:
Have a jolly Crowley Christmas,
It's the Beast time of the year...
Or
Gandalf with your robe so white,
Won't you kick some butt tonight?
Or Captain Picard, TTO "Let it Snow":
Make it so, make it so, make it so!
---------------------------
Had a nice unplugged holiday weekend. Mom, Cliff, and I picked up again the holiday tradition we started when he was living in Ahwatukee: going to the Phoenician for their wonderful Christmas brunch whenever the family is in Arizona for the holidays. We were surprised that there weren't more people out on the terrace; in the past it's always been at full capacity, even at the first seating, and you'd think with the beautiful bluebird weather people would want to be outside. We didn't need the propane heaters and even took our sweaters off. We also noticed that there wasn't a Santa this year.

Saturday afternoon, taking a break from lounging in the back yard, we listened to the wedding CD I'd made for Mom. When my parents were first married, the had someone record the ceremony on a reel-to-reel tape machine. At the time, there were booths in some department stores where you could make short recordings to vinyl platters, and that's what my folks did, but the music parts of the ceremony never made it onto the record - possibly because there wasn't enough room. After Dad died, Mom had the recording transferred to CD, then hunted down the sheet music and asked me to record new versions. Pat and I did that in August or Septemer, using his portable rig, and I later burned a CD with the music and the spoken parts of the ceremony in proper order. I wasn't too thrilled with my performance on The Lord's Prayer, and the original parts really show the effect of being transferred across three media, but Mom teared up over it anyway so I figure it was worth the effort.

So now everyone's home, and I'm spending my remaining week off tying up a few loose ends.

1 comments

Post a Comment

1 Comments:

I meant to ask how that ended up the last time I saw you. Glad to hear it went well.

By Blogger Patrick Connors, at 9:30 AM  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?