<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 06, 2005

I live about six miles from work, so normally it only takes me about 15-20 minutes to get from my door to my desk. However, with the flooding, for the past three days I've had to jump on the 202 for about 3 miles of that trip in order to get over the River, along with half the people who live in the East Valley. It wasn't too bad Tuesday and Wednesday, but for some reason - possibly because the Alma School bridge has been closed - this morning the traffic was absolutely obnoxious. That 3-or-so-mile trip took half an hour this morning! Half an hour! I finally understand the high incidence of road rage in L.A. - if I had to deal with a commute like that twice a day, every day, I'd go mad within the month!

It's made me realize how lucky I've been to have always had a job relatively near where I live. The longest commute I've ever had was less than 10 miles, I think. I did interview for a job, once which would've involved telecommuting most of the time and flying out to San Jose a couple times a month, but the dot-com bubble burst while they were drawing up my job offer, and I wound up staying where I am now.


2 comments

Post a Comment

2 Comments:

Six miles???? You could hike and/or bike to work. Why bother with the drive? Except maybe when it's raining.

-Anonymous Gerbil

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:00 AM  

It's actually a little over 7 miles (I checked on mapquest), a good half of which runs through a rural area with no streetlights, no sidewalks, narrow shoulders, heavy traffic and a 50 MPH speed limit that's generally ignored. It's also a major thoroughfare for cement and gravel trucks. Occasionally I'll see a brave bicyclist on this route, but I'm not in any hurry myself to risk my life.

By Blogger Nancy, at 6:00 PM  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?