<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Gypsies, Tramps, and Swedes

I didn't get too much accomplished over the weekend, but hey, that tends to happen when you've got a guy with a jackhammer in your guest bathroom. I did manage to get the new Dell set up, and worked enough on Stardust County scoring that I didn't feel too guilty taking Sunday to drive out the the Superstitions to try the Carney Springs Trail hike that the AZ Republic recommended a few weeks back. I met a couple at the trailhead who were only planning on going as far as the first saddle and persuaded them to do the whole loop, across Boulder Canyon to the Peralta Trail, and I'm really glad that they did. Up to the first saddle is a somewhat strenuous hike with lots of clambering over rocks. Then you set out across country with the trail marked only by little cairns of stones set on top of boulders. There are two ridges and two little valleys, through pinion country where the vegetation grows out of cracks in the bedrock in long, straight lines. The wildflowers were pretty scarce at this altitude, but we did see some healthy Indian paintbrush, which I don't think I've ever seen in person. Right before the third ridge Weaver's Needle hove into sight, and the cairns suddenly disappeared. After some mucking about we found the trail again and made the near-vertical scramble through the boulders and extreme vegetation down to the Fremont Saddle pretty much on our butts. We were pretty bushed by the time we got to the Peralta parking lot, but it was fun!
------------------------
I'm almost finished with scoring Stardust County - just a few more songs and I'll have the basic scoring done. Then I'm going back to the Overture for some re-work - it's starting to sound a little thin after the orchestration that I've done for the more complex numbers - and some overall review and polishing.

I've been feeling in pretty good voice since Consonance; getting ready for the Phoenix Folk Festival on Saturday I pulled out some older songs I haven't done in a while and played around with them a bit. The acid reflux regimin really seems to have opened things up to where I can sing with a more open, "adult" voice - so maybe giving up coffee etc. was worth it after all.
------------------------
There are so many flowers in my backyard that the hummingbirds aren't even touching the hummingbird feeders. The level hasn't gone down an inch in two weeks. They'd much rather gorge on penstemons and fairy dusters.

0 comments

Post a Comment

0 Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?