<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Last night the moon was a curious shade of pink, almost purple. And bright! It was only a half-moon, but lit up the backyard as if it were full!

The trouble with trying to adapt the European-based Wheel of the Year to the desert is twofold; first, we don't have the same seasons. It's not that we have the familiar four seasons at different times of the year, or that summer is stretched out and the other three smooshed together. The seasons are completely different. And they don't map nicely to the calendar from one year to the next.

For example, last night I marked the end of the baking season my making cookies for the last time until October or so. They're excellent cookies, BTW, and won't last long. It is now officially too freaking hot to run the oven. Today I marked the beginning of artichoke season. And AHR mechanical called me for my twice-yearly checkup of my heat/cooling system, which means swamp cooler season can't be far behind. Swamp cooler season, for those of us who observe it, lasts until monsoon season, which can start anywhere from July to September.

In the meantime, it's still just cool enough that I can crack a few windows and let fresh air in for a little while longer.

0 comments

Post a Comment

0 Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?