<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 18, 2005

So, I finally girded my loins and watched the Rankin-Bass Return of the King that I've had out from Netflix for over a month. I'd heard rumors about this version for years, usually delivered with a delicious shudder, and online reviews of the DVD led me to expect a truly cringeworthy experience.

Actually, it's not bad. Granted, it bears the same relationship to Tolkien that Disney's Snow White does to the Brothers Grimm - Frodo puts the Ring on, then wanders undetected around Mount Doom for days while Aragorn marches all the way from Gondor to the Black Gate?! - but it's quite watchable. And "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way" is rather a catchy little tune. My biggest problem was that after an hour of hearing Casey Casem's voice come out of Pippin's mouth, I was expecting Eowyn to reach up and pull off the Witch King's rubber mask, revealing him to be none other than Mr. Angmar, the kindley janitor, who was trying to frighten everyone away from Gondor so he could recover the stolen jewels he'd hidden in the basement, and would've succeeded too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!

0 comments

Post a Comment

0 Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?