<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Here's what I'm talking about. Some sixty-odd years ago, my mother discovered that, due to an error in adoption papers drawn up when she was two years old, she wasn't an American citizen after all. At the time this was easily fixed; she and her sister took the citizenship exam and got sworn in.

Under today's draconian laws, both my mother and my aunt would have been deported.

Just like these kids. Tell me, what greater good does it serve to exile these star pupils who have never known any country other than the USA to a foreign country? What really steams me is that they've been begging Congress to step in and make an exception, but Congress has been far too busy with more important matters. Like passing a symbolic amemdment to ban a symbolic length of fabric from being desecrated by a symbolic act that usually takes place outside of U.S. jurisdiction. Nice to know that Congress has its priorities in the right place. For me to poop on!*

*Apologies to Triumph the insult comic dog. On second thought, after appearing in that godsawful rap video Triumph the insult comic dog should apologize to me.
-------------

Here's a thoughtful piece from the Toronto Globe & Mail on charity, benefit concerts, and what makes a real difference in the world: The Education of Bob Geldof

0 comments

Post a Comment

0 Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?