<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Every year I say that next year I'm going to stay in Prescott for the whole folk festival, all day both days - and every year life gets in the way. This year I missed all of the Sunday programming, but packed as much as I could into Saturday. (That included doing a little hiking in the Thumb Butte area before the festival got started at 10:00.)

The songwriters' circle I was in in the afternoon was fun, and I had an unexpected reaction from the audience. There are usually 5-8 people involved in these, all songwriters sharing their material bardic style, which means in a 90 min slot we each get about two songs. It's a very relaxed atmosphere that attracts a good-size audience. When my second turn came around, I started with, "I couldn't let the whole festival go by without singing a filk song." A good half of the audience applauded, and this is a folk audience! Very cool. I did Fangrrrl to great appreciation; the biggest laugh seemed to be on "My resume is longer than the Hitchiker's triology." Just goes to show how much SF has drifted into the mainstream. Or perhaps how perniciously filk has infiltrated the Arizona folk scene. Hey, I've been doing it for a good ten years now, and Lon Austin was singing both ways well before then.

------------------

Peaseblossom went in to the vet today for what was supposed to be a routine checkup and teeth cleaning. No such thing. She has a mass of inflamed lymph nodes in her abdomen. We're waiting on the biopsy results, hopefully Saturday morning.

0 comments

Post a Comment

0 Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?