<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Whatever happened to...

....backflips in figure skating? A few years back, they were the New Hot Thing. All the competetive men had one, or were working on it. Surya Bonaly had at least one in each routine, even though they didn't count in women's competition. Then suddenly the backflip completely disappeared and it was all quad quad quad. What happened? There was no high-profile injury involving a backflip, despite the much-hyped potential, and I never heard anything about the ISU banning it. So WTF?

....recommendations from Amazon that mean something? Once I bought Harry Jenkins' Textual Poachers from Amazon, and it recommended a wonderful book called Nasa/Trek, a feminist critique of NASA as pop culture compared and contrasted with the society of women who write Kirk/Spock fanfic. Nowadays I buy a book by an author, and Amazon recommends every other book that author has ever written, as if I were incapable of saying to myself, "hey, this person writes good stuff", and typing the name into their simple search function. Buy Tales of the South Pacific? Here's every other book by James Michener! Purchase the complete extended-cut edition of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movie trilogy? Amazon recommends every other edition of all three movies, as box sets and individually!
----------------

Boy, I'm sounding like an old fart tonight. I'm just stupidly tired today, for no reason. I even slept through my alarm this morning. No gym for me tonight - I'm sacking out early.

0 comments

Post a Comment

0 Comments:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?