<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 19, 2006

And now for something completely apolitical

The mage-king Hermes Trismegistus was sitting in judgment as was his custom, when two disputants came before him: one a wealthy merchant bearing the sigil of the House of Hoff; the other a crabbed old man, richly yet eccentrically robed.

"Highness," complained the merchant, after salutory gestures had been concluded, "know that I paid this reverent sage 50 snickels to foretell the most propitious day for the wedding of my daughter. He did but lock himself in the toilet and refuse my entreaties to come out! At length I could wait no longer and left in great wroth, but upon seeing him in the street this morning did press him to accompany me here before ye."

The mage-king looked at the old man gravely. "This is behavior unseemly to both our august order and thy advanced years. What sayst thou in thy defense?"

"Long hath I practiced the Sooth," the sage replied, gesturing dramatically the while; "sensible as I am of its weighty traditions, yet I had not attained my degree of mastery without experiment and pursuit of the novel. In past months come I have by one of the wondrous flush toilets such as accommodate the palaces of the Doges of the East. As ye knowst, of such a device is a water-containing bowl; I do but practise to sprinkle certain holy herbs upon this water and, by means of prayer and chant, draw forth visions upon its surface."

At this much hilarity consumed the court, until Hermes called order.

"Surely thou knowst," he smiled, "that the 'porcelain god' be not a reliable source of prophesy, nor an artifice approved for the telling of fortunes?'

The old man drew himself up in incense of indignation.

"It's my potty," he declared, "and I'll scry if I want to!"

Rim shot.
-------------

Things are moving on Stardust County. Have a tentative date for the first session in May; need to get confirmation from Tom and Lon and then we're go! There's been some rearrangement of the cast due in part to the hiatus, so I'm working that issue this week. I can't believe we're finally moving ahead! Heavens, we might actually finish the project!

------------

As usual, didn't get as much accomplished in the yard as I wanted, but made some progress. I turned one bed and planted tomatoes (Early Girl, Heat Wave, Red Grape), sweet peppers (red and brown), a tomatillo and a Japanese eggplant, all seedlings from Home Depot. From seed I planted corn (Early and Often) and bush beans (Royal Burgundy). I also transplanted the Brown Berry tomato seedlings to containers - they're not going to mature fast enough to put in the yard. Then I got my upper body aerobic workout by digging holes for an avacado tree (oh yeah) and a couple vines I got for the gazebo, and set up the irrigation system to take care of everything. Next weekend I do the other veg garden bed, and plant the emu bushes in the side yard.

2 comments

Post a Comment

2 Comments:

It is during presidents day that I am reminded that our president for 2008 will be either Hillary Clinton or John McCain and our country will be in total ruin. We need Daniel Imperato, www.daniel2008.com . Look at his website, he was just endorsed by the record industry.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM  

"It's my potty and I'll scry if I want to? ..."

GROOOOAAAAANNNNNN...

TT

By Blogger Tom, at 10:58 AM  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?